It guarantees physical and mental well-being, even developing the mental part to relieve stress. In addition to providing flexibility , strength and physical conditioning to those who practice. For all these benefits and others it makes you want to start yoga at home , right?
According to Professor Thais Dalla Zanna, it is necessary to pay attention to some points to carry out the activity safely. “ Asanas are postures that work the physical part, making the body leave the comfort zone”, points out one of the elements that one should be aware of. This element makes, lengthens and even causes weight loss , when done correctly.
If this is your first time doing yoga, Thais gives you another very important tip. “If the posture is uncomfortable enough to create agitation, the practitioner must undo the asana and make a simpler version of it,” explains the teacher.
Photo: Getty Images
Another element that the professional pays attention to is pranayamas – breathing techniques to oxygenate the body and bring concentration to meditation. “The combination of Asanas with breaths makes the exercises rhythmic and dynamic, making the practitioner ‘sweat his shirt’ and forget the problems of running life”, says Thais.
With so many benefits, many people think of starting yoga at home on their own. But, there are some aspects, like the ones mentioned above, that need to be taken into account to start the practice alone. See what they are!
Check out 10 tips from Thais Dalla to start yoga at home:
1. Create a ritual for the practice: set a time to dedicate yourself to the exercises and introduce it into your routine. The important thing in this beginning is the constancy in practice so that it starts to be part of your daily life.
2. Find a quiet and spacious place: it can be an indoor or outdoor space, but remember to check furniture and objects before starting the activity. The floor must be flat and smooth for your comfort and safety.
3. Wear comfortable clothes that allow your body to move freely.
Photo: Getty Images
4. Avoid eating before practice: it is possible to eat something light an hour before the activity, or if you are not without energy, just take a fruit juice or a spoon of honey at least 30 minutes before. However, the ideal is to perform the practice on an empty stomach to avoid reflux and malaise during exercise.
5. Provide a MAT – the famous yoga mat. It must be non-slip and stick to your body. It is possible to use substitutions, but with some care. You can use a blanket, towel or pillow in the sitting and lying positions. However, these substitutions are not non-slip and, therefore, we should not use them for the practice of standing postures.
Remember that they are palliative alternatives until you acquire your MAT. There are several brands of MAT on the market, including online offers. I suggest you look in sporting goods stores and understand the options, in addition to testing the MATs before purchase, always remembering the rules of adherence.
6. Analyze the need for complementary accessories that can favor practice for students with less flexibility. EVA blocks are a great option for those who do not reach the floor in a flexion posture, for example, as it is light, firm and adherent to the ground. In the beginning, if you don’t have the pad, replace it with a hardcover book with a great thickness, but with one caveat: the book is heavy and this can get in the way of moving it.
Then, use it only until you acquire the EVA block. The bands or belts are a great option also for people who cannot reach their feet or hands in some postures. There are bands and belts on the market, but homemade options are very welcome, as long as they are firm and resistant.
Photo: Getty Images
7. Have firm and bulky pillows – they are essential for your comfort in some sitting postures, as the strength and flexibility in your back, legs and abdomen are still not enough to keep your spine upright. With the pillow, it is possible to avoid pain in the spine, lumbar, groin and legs. It is possible to make substitutions with the folded blanket and two EVA blocks.
8. Take a moment to meditate to get into full concentration at the time of practice. Stay with the spine straight and the neck in the extension of the spine, as if the vertebrae dislocated, making space between them and between the abdominal organs. The legs are rooted to the ground, comfortably. Shoulders, arms and facial muscles are relaxed.
9. Respect your limits. Start with simpler asanas and gradually increase the complexity of the exercises. Evolution in practice requires time and dedication.
10. Seek guidance from specialized professionals. It is very important to acquire knowledge and experience to be safe in practice.
Do you already know how to practice yoga at home and want something more specialized? Professor Thais teaches several online courses on the Namu Cursos platform .